Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recessionomics - update 3. To buy junk or save up for somthing good?

Recessionomics - update 3

The days of excess have come to an end and it's being a dramatic end . Which is kinda good in someways. I briefly discussed this in the blog post the The ‘death of excess’ and the movie Cloverfield . When we had a never ending supply of credit and our purchasing power increased thus causing the biggest credit bubble in history which of course has burst. So now it leaves us in the present state that we are all in (economically). I think back to vacuum cleaners, in the period of 4 years I had three vacuum cleaners with one year warranties on each one. Suffice to say within each of those four years 2 vacuum cleaners died on me and the current one is, well about to be given to the junkyard as a mechanical corpse. The price ranges for all three vacuums ranged between $90-$120. All made in China, all pieces of junk that I purchased because I thought that a $90-$120 vacuum cleaner would do the job and the price was relatively cheap. So, where am I going with this, well with excess dead in the water, quality shines. I am about to buy a Dyson vacuum, I did my math and of course looked at the average price of the three vacuums, the average costs (on all three vacuums) totals just over $300.00 which you could say has also been thrown into the junk pile with the crappy vacuums. So now I am preparing to buy a quality vacuum (a Dyson at $300+ USD). Jeez I mean a vacuum where engineers think about the design and dynamics. C'mon how can you go wrong with that? Originality and quality with efficiency, still you gotta pay for it and Dyson's aint cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment